It’s official, the most complete and performance-ready version of DEX 3 is available for download!
Thanks to the effort of our customers and testers of the previous release candidate versions, the public release of DEX 3.8 is ready — and it’s pretty sweet. As always, 3.8 is a free update for existing DEX 3 DJs.
One of the most significant upgrades to DEX 3.8 is one you can’t see. Our development team refactored the Audio/Video playback engine to make it more efficient, resulting in better overall resource management and thus improved system performance.
New in DEX 3.8 is a re-engineered BPM calculation and beat-sync engine that’s optimized for electronic music (we’re also working on a unique BPM detection and sync engine for varied tempo tracks for a future free update). Press Sync once and tracks should stay locked in tempo so you can concentrate on other aspects of your performance. Also included (and used in all four DEX 3 decks) are new blue-gradient waveform’s with three distinct color tones for visual frequency detection. Tracks will also load instantly in DEX 3.8 after initial analyzation (or after the first time they are loaded into a deck). New daytime skins are included that make it much easier to read the DEX 3.8 display in bright environments. Three new DJ controllers are now plug-and-play supported.
Two additions for video mixing DJs that are surely going to be well received are: The secondary video output window will remain ‘always-on-top’, even after you minimize the main DEX 3 GUI. Via the 2-Deck video mixing skin tab DJs have direct access to their saved text, image and video overlays. Select an overlay from the drop down menu and use one button to display it on-screen.
DEX 3.8 is truly a major update to our best DJ and video mixing solution for modern ‘do-it-all’ DJs. We suggest existing users update now from the DEX 3 support page, and anyone that’s tried a previous free trial of DEX 3 should download DEX 3.8 and take it for a test spin.
We’re committed to bringing our users the best, and most flexible, live performing mixing software available today. DEX 3.8 is ready.
What’s New And Updated In DEX 3.8
- Always-in-sync (sync-lock/beat-lock) – press Sync once and the song will stay in-sync with the master deck
- Steady-rhythm BPM detection mode (for sync-lock) – works best for songs with perfect tempo (eg. electronic music)
- Colored waveform’s (3 distinct layers so you can clearly see the rhythm and RMS/global levels)
- Once you’ve analyzed a track (either by loading it or by using the batch Analyze/all feature) it will load instantly thereafter
- 3 new Daytime skins (and tweaks for the Nighttime skins)
- 3 new controllers supported: Denon MC7000, Hercules P32 DJ, Reloop Mixon 4
- You can open ‘Edit Overlays’ window + switch between overlays from the skin itself (available in the 2-decks Nighttime/Daytime skins) (make sure you save/copy your overlays to ‘Documents/PCDJ-DEX3/Overlays’ if you want them to show up in the drop-down list)
- Added spinner/text to see background tasks status (eg. how many items are still to be processed by ‘Analyze all’)
- You can now minimize the main window (on your own display or switch to a different app while the secondary video window will remain visible)
- Fixed crash when scanning bad/corrupt mp3s
- Various bug fixes and optimizations
Skin Actions Update:
For people who design or edit skins we have added the following skin actions (see the skins included in the app for examples):
- Added button actions: ‘show_video_overlays’, ‘enable_video_overlays’, ‘deck_cfassign_left’, ‘deck_cfassign_thru’, ‘deck_cfassign_right’ (to assign a deck to the crossfader)
- Added drop-down actions: ‘dropdown_video_overlay’
- Added text actions: ‘background_tasks_remaining’
- Added image actions: ‘img_background_tasks_spinner’
- Removed text actions: ‘status_background_processing’ – please replace with ‘background_tasks_remaining’ in all your skins
Controller Scripting Update:
For controller scripts (mappings) we have added the following:
- Actions to assign a deck to the crossfader (to the left side, right side or simply skip the crossfader (THRU)): ‘deckCFAssignToLeft’, ‘deckCFAssignToThru’, ‘deckCFAssignToRight, ‘deckSetCFAssign’ (input values for ‘deckSetCFAssign’: 0 (left), 1 (THRU), 2 (right))
- Notifications: global: recording; per-deck: cuepos11 .. cuepos16, looppos1 .. looppos8, fxCutoffLP, fxCutoffHP, fxBitCrusher, fxTremolo
Updating from a previous release? Install DEX 3.8 from this page with your existing version closed for a seamless upgrade
DEX 3.8 | NEW FEATURES OVERVIEW
Have questions about our DEX 3.8 DJ software or video mixing? Please leave them in the comments section below!