PCDJ had two of the earliest DJ controllers on the market in the DAC-2 and DAC-3 controllers. Both were 19″ rackmount controllers that were simple yet effective in controlling our DJ software.
DJ controllers have evolved tremendously since then, with every major DJ equipment manufacturer offering a full line of options. The trend lately is to ditch the 19″ rack style controller for table top designs that incorporate all the controller and mixer controls in one (usually less than compact) device. Large jog wheels are present so DJs that scratch have something similar to vinyl to grab and manipulate, and much of the time they take up significant real estate. For mobile DJs, much of the time that’s a waste of space, especially since many still use 19″ rackmount setups/cases.
We get calls all the time from DJs looking for a DJ controller that can fit in their already configured 19″ setup, and options have dwindled immensely over the last 5 years. The Denon DN-HC4500 was a great 19″ option, but is now difficult to find. Enter the American Audio MXR19 – a $299 4-channel USB midi controller, mixer and audio card in one; a perfect solution for mobile DJs that need simple DJ controller controls, and a mixer with 3 mic inputs. We’ve already pre-mapped it to DEX 2 (and 3) and RED Mobile 2, so it’s plug and play right out of the box.
The MXR19 is noticeably heavy, with a solid construction and just the right tension on the knobs and faders. Since the audio card is built in, you just connect the American Audio MXR19 to your machine via one USB cable and configure the audio channels in PCDJ DEX or RED Mobile so that each deck plays through a separate channel on the mixer (so you can plug your headphones in and cue right from mixer itself). The controller portion of the mixer has the following controls that are already all pre-mapped for our PCDJ DJ Software:
- 3 HOT CUES PER DECK
- LOAD TO DECK A/B
- LIBRARY NAVIGATION BUTTONS
- FILTER KNOBS
Basically, all the required DJ controller features a Mobile DJ would need to perform at a job included in one compact 19″ device. Mixer – Controller – Soundcard. After finally getting my hands on one, I feel confident saying it’s an ideal fit for many of our customers looking for a simple 19″ mixer/DJ controller solution that won’t break the bank at only $299
Here’s a full list of features as provided by American Audio:
American Audio MXR-19 19″ 4-Channel DJ Mixer
The American Audio MXR Series offers DJs the tactile feel and operation of a traditional DJ mixer while playing and controlling music from software on their computer.
The 19 MXR is a 19-inch, 4-Channel MIDILOG Mixer with Midi/Analog control, built-in DSP D-Core Sound Card with 4-In/4-Out audio interface, Balanced XLR Outputs, MIDI Navigation Controls and user assignable control buttons to make it easy to customize and play your music.
- 19-inch, 4-Channel MIDILOG Mixer (compatible with any “Midi Learn” Software or Analog Inputs – such as CD Players, Turntables, etc.)
- Inputs: 4 Line, 2 Phono, 3 Mics
- 20 On-board Midi Control Buttons (Mapable)
- MIDI interface (USB MIDI I/O)
- Built-in DSP D-Core Sound Card with 4-In/4-Out audio interface
- Controller Mode: When activated USB output streams are routed through master and headphone outputs
- Balanced XLR Outputs
- 3-Band EQ with Rotary Kills (Treble, Mid & Bass)
- Midi Navigation Controls to allow easy software navigation of your music library
- Crossfader Curve Adjustment
- Crossfader Channel Assign
- Master, Booth, Headphone Level & Mix Controls
- Microphone Volume Control + 2-Band EQ (Treble & Bass)
- Microphone Reverb Control
- Mic 3 routed through channel MIDLOG 4
- Crossfader Assignable Low/High Pass Filter Control
- 10 segment VU meter
- Audio inputs: RCA
- Microphone input: 1 x Balanced XLR, 2 x 1/4″ balanced
- Headphone input: 1/4″ stereo
- Multi-voltage operation: AC 100V~240V 50/60Hz
- Dimensions (LxWxH): 19″ x 7.25″ x 3.5″/482 x 178 x 85mm (19-inch R.M. – 4 spaces)
- Weight: 8 lbs. / 3.4 kg.
We liked the fit for our mobile DJ customers so much we’ve just become a dealer for the American Audio MXR19!
Have questions about the American Audio MXR19? Feel free to ask questions in the comments section below!